For purposes of meeting program requirements, all nine-credit general education (foundation) courses will count as six credits towards the major or minor.
All approved general education courses may count for general education credits; some may count for major credits; none may count as both.
Students prior to entering ITEC are required to have completed one 4U mathematics course or the equivalent with in the last five years.
General prerequisites for all 3000 level or above courses: students must have successfully completed all 1000 and 2000 level required courses in information technology, mathematics and writing required for their program option before taking courses in information technology at the 3000 or 4000 level.
Program note: students combining a Honours ITEC major with a second major or minor are not required to complete a stream.
Residency requirement: a minimum of 30 course credits and at least half (50 per cent) of the course credits required in each undergraduate degree program major/minor must be taken at York University.
Graduation requirement: students must successfully complete (pass) at least 120 credits which meet the Faculty's degree and program requirements with a cumulative grade point average of at least 5.00.
General education: a minimum of 21 general education credits as follows:
- 6.00 credits in natural science (NATS)
- a 9.00 credit approved general education course in the social science or humanities categories
- a 6.00 credit approved general education course in the opposite category to the 9.00 credit course in social science or humanities already taken
Major credits: 60 credits including:
(i) 42 credits consisting of the following:
- AP/ITEC 1000 3.00 Introduction to Information Technology;
- AP/ITEC 1010 3.00 Information and Organizations;
- AP/ITEC 1620 3.00 Object-based Programming;
- AP/ITEC 2600 3.00 Introduction to Analytical Programming;
- AP/ITEC 2610 3.00 Object-oriented Programming;
- AP/ITEC 2620 3.00 Introduction to Data Structures;
- AP/ITEC 3010 3.00 Systems Analysis and Design;
- AP/ITEC 3020 3.00 Web Technologies;
- AP/ITEC 3030 3.00 Systems Architecture;
- AP/ITEC 3210 3.00 Applied Data Communications and Networks;
- AP/ITEC 3220 3.00 Using and Designing Database Systems;
- AP/ITEC 3230 3.00 Designing User Interfaces;
- AP/ITEC 4010 3.00 Systems Analysis and Design II;
- AP/ITEC 4020 3.00 Internet Client Server Systems;
(ii) 18 credits from other ITEC courses.
Note: at least 12 credits in the major must be completed at the 4000 level.
Upper-level credits: at least 36 credits at the 3000 or 4000 level, including at least 18 credits at the 4000 level.
Credits outside the major: 18 credits including SC/MATH 1190 3.00 (Introduction to Sets and Logic); SC/MATH 2565 3.00 (Introduction to Applied Statistics); (Effective Fall 2019) AP/WRIT 2201 3.00,(Prior to Fall 2019 - AP/WRIT 3988 3.00 or AP/WRIT 3989 3.00).
(Note: students who are completing a double major or major/minor are deemed to have fulfilled this requirement.)